Skip to main content

Korean short rib BBQ & Vietnamese Quiche

This was my first attempt at the Korean Kalbi (short rib bbq) and Cha Trung Hap (steamed Viet quiche).  It turned out pretty good...but like all my dishes, I'm not good at making it photogenic.  Like my Dad always says,"Doesn't matter, it'll come out the same way.." yup, eeew.

Served with jasmine rice and pickled leeks bc I haven't pickled anything myself yet.
My new indoor grill.  It's about $35 on Amazon.  It's the smallest sized Sanyo, but it's perfect for an apartment or couple/single person.  We're only using this until we get an outdoor grill..but this one is so convenient, so we'll see.
 See, it even leaves the grill marks...it's much better than grilling inside an oven.I added the egg based on what the recipe said to use..doesn't seem to be enough here.  Also, the Joan Chen steamer I used is crap.  That's why the egg wasn't even right there on the side.
Kalbi recipe:  
The original recipe is here.  However, I've had to modify here and there.

Pre-Marinade:
1/2 cup grated onions
2 Tbsp honey or 1 can of 7-up (I used honey)

Preparation:
Puree the onion in a food processor until it is almost liquified.  
Pour the grated onion over the beef and add the honey.  Thoroughly coat the beef with the mixture. Marinate for at least 2 hours.  Drain the pre-marinade liquid.  You can keep the onion, though.  The onion juice tenderizes the meat.

Kalbi marinade:
5 Tbsp soy sauce (low sodium)
4 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp honey
4 Tbsp Chinese rice wine
2 tsp sesame oil 
4 stalks green onion, minced
chopped  garlic (4-5 cloves, depending on preference)
2 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp ginger root, grated
1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes (you like spicy like us?  Use 1/2 tbs or more)

Preparation:
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, then pour over the pre-marinated kalbi. Marinate ovenight.  Start grilling!  If you use the thinly sliced short ribs, it won't take long to grill on high heat... Like 2-5 minutes each side.  


Cha Trung Recipe
I combined two recipes based on what I've eaten.  Recipe 1  Recipe 2

1 lb ground pork
1/2 cup shredded wood ear mushroom/black fungus (I used 2 whole mushrooms)
1/2 a bundle of glass noodle 
6 eggs
2-3 stalks green onion - finely chopped
2-4  tbsp fish sauce (I used 3 or 4)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 black or white pepper
Coriander (cilantro) for garnishing

Preparation:
Soften mushrooms and glass noodles by soaking in water(separately).  I just microwaved them for 2 minutes each. Drain.  Cut the glass noodles in 1/4 inch lengths. Sliced the mushrooms, unless you've bought them pre-sliced 
Reserve 3 egg yolks and beat remaining eggs and egg whites.
Mix all remaining ingredients into beaten eggs.
Pour mixture into a backing pan or meatloaf/bread pan. (I used a 9" cake pan)
Steam for 30-45 minutes.  

Beat reserved egg yolks and pour over steamed egg mixture. Steam for 5-10 additional minutes.
To test if the dish is cooked, insert a toothpick in the center.  It's thoroughly cooked when the toothpick comes out clean.
Garnish with coriander and serve hot with steamed rice.


Another suggestion: serve rice with green onions cooked in oil. Chop green onions and fry in oil.  An easier method is to put green onions in a bowl and pour oil so that the green onions are well coated. Heat in th microwave for about 30 seconds.  Top the rice with the cooked green onions. 

Although, the juice from the bbq will add a great flavor to the rice, you can serve rice with nuoc mam (nuoc cham, as it's called online).  Once I learn how to make the nuoc mam sauce, I will post it online.  Not all nuoc mam is good...so I've got to be picky.

Comments

Anonymous said…
yum
Hi there,

Both dishes look great, no matter what your dad says.

Aloha,

Nate
House of Annie

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony

Meet Einstein, the world's current smallest newborn horse born 3 days ago. He's a pinto stallion that stands 14 inches tall and weighs 9 lbs. What a cutie patootey. All together now... AAAAWWWWW. That St. Bernard's face is priceless.. he's prolly going.. "duh, look at the shrimp." Source

Washer and Dryer

We waited all year for Black Friday to get a new washer and dryer. Our old washer wasn't that old and worked fine, however our dryer which was a hand-me-down twice was on its last leg. We bought a front loading washer and dryer, though it wasn't a black friday sale, it was a pre-black friday sale. Sears pricematched and the sale included the pedestals, which run $250 a piece. They don't do anything, which is so lame. Could just have effectively put the washer and dryer on cement blocks. Anyway, bought he detergent at Sam's. Had to give the old Cheer powder detergent to my parents... it was still new. I washed and dried my huge comforter along with the sheets with no problems. I gathered all the puppies' stinky blankets and washed them in the sanitary and baby wash. The wash took quite awhile, but when we took them out the blankets smelled CLEAN. You cannot tell the puppies had those blankets in their crates... no sign of stinky boston terriers . I love ou

Hello Kitty Lolita

It's Hello Kitty Lolita... Speaking of Hello Kitty... gotta have your bathroom accessories.